Hyderabad: A man took to social media after spotting worms in a Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate that he had purchased from a local store. The clip grabbed eyeballs and netizens had a lot to comment on the unfortunate incident.
Worm in Cadbury chocolate
Robin Zaccheus took to X to showcase the condition of a Cadbury chocolate bar that he had bought. He posted a video showing a worm crawling on the chocolate bar. Zaccheus also shared the bill stating that he had purchased the product from a store named Ratnadeep Retail near Ameerpet metro station.
Found a worm crawling in Cadbury chocolate purchased at Ratnadeep Metro Ameerpet today..
— Robin Zaccheus (@RobinZaccheus) February 9, 2024
“Found a worm crawling in Cadbury chocolate purchased at Ratnadeep Metro Ameerpet today. Is there a quality check for these near-to-expiry products? Who is responsible for public health hazards,” wrote the man on social media.
Social media reactions
The post caught the eyes of many. One wrote, “Looks like this chocolate didn’t have double wrapping. The reason why dairy milk is double-wrapped (golden foil + white paper wrap) is to avoid worms getting inside. P.S. Always inspect the product & expiry details before consumption.” Another netizen suggested, “Raise a grievance to Cadbury team. Will come to collect the sample and investigate.” A third person said, “Most distressing and frustrating indeed. Despite all the tall claims of ‘aiming as a developed nation’, the poorest implementation of quality controls and consumer protection.”
Meanwhile, many blamed poor storage as the cause of worm-infested chocolates. One set of netizens even recalled their bad experiences after shopping at the supermarket in question. A few others decided to turn around the intensity of the problem with their silly jokes. One person wrote, “Free protein to balance an extra sugary snack and yet the customer complains!!” Another quipped, “Did they add 1g extra protein in nutrient content?”
The post also garnered the attention of Cadbury. They replied stating, “…we regret to note that you have had an unpleasant experience.”